Friday, August 1, 2008

Gangster Art

I took the kids to the Children’s Museum again this week. Overall it was fine and the kids had a really good time. However, it is worth mentioning that I was a little surprised at what passes as acceptable artwork these days. There is a "Light Room" where you can use a "special" light laser to write on the wall. The room is dark and you write on what looks like a white dry erase board and the laser leaves a glowing replication of what you have drawn on the board.

Most kids are drawing random nothingness or cute little shapes. My kids are happily scribbling along when in comes a little Hispanic boy somewhere between 8-10 years old who began tagging the wall. I am not an expert on gang signs or lingo, but I taught long enough in an inner city school and have seen enough examples of tagging splayed across the walls on the bad side of town to conclude that this "art" was indeed gang signs. His parents stood there, looking on proudly, as their future little inmate continued his creation.

I try not to judge, I really do. However, it’s hard to not make a judgement or assumption about what the hell type of parent would allow their little gangster, juvenile delinquent kid put gang signs all over a museum wall.

No comments: