Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Want To Be My Friend? And Other Awkward Moments

So, here’s the question for the day. When you meet another mom, at say the mall, whom you seem to hit it off with and have a lot in common with how do you say, "Hey, you’re pretty cool. You seem like someone I’d hang out with. Wanna hang? Here’s my number or can I have yours?" without saying "Hey you’re pretty cool. You seem like someone I’d hang out with. Wanna hang? Here’s my number or can I have yours?" and sounding a little creepy or desperate?

I met this woman at the mall yesterday who I spent 30 minutes talking to. Normally I’m not a big conversationalist with strangers, but with her the conversation just led from one topic to the next pretty naturally. It was great. She was funny and the conversation was totally easy. It actually felt like we had been friends for years. She has one child a few months younger than my son and oddly enough, I discovered through the course of our conversation, her husband is a guy I went to high school with. However, I needed to get going so I kind of abruptly ended the conversation, told her it was nice to meet her and chat with her and left.

Afterwards I started thinking I should have asked her to go for coffee (I don’t even drink coffee), or have given her my number or something, but I wasn’t sure if that would be weird. So, what do you think? What should I have done?

2 comments:

Gena B. said...

I totally know whatyou mean. I have had many of those moments. It is awkward and sometimes hard for moms to make friends with other moms. The other mom was probably thinking the same thing, though.

Nancy said...

I am queen of the antisocial so when I meet someone I really click with I do get bummed when I don't know how to say "let's be friends!". Then I start to think she probably has alot of other friends already! Makes me think I need to start being a better friend to the few friends I already have!