Thursday, July 31, 2008

Jakob Dylan: Seeing Things

I bought the new Jakob Dylan CD "Seeing Things" earlier this week. It is a fantastic CD. It has a primarily acoustic sound to it, which I really like. I am a fan of the Wallflowers, for which Dylan is the lead singer, so I wasn’t sure if he was going to try to replicate that sound or stray from it. I’d have to say it is a compromise. A lot of the lyrics and melodies are reminiscent of the Wallflowers, but Dylan’s solo effort is not nearly as "poppy".

There are only 10 songs on the entire CD, most lasting 3 ½ minutes each. I can honestly say there is not a bad song on the entire CD. I have listened to it at least a dozen times now straight through and have never had the urge to skip over a song because it just wasn’t doing it for me. Track number 8, "Something Good This Way Comes" is a fantastic song and one you may be familiar with via the radio.

If you are looking for a solid CD Jakob Dylan has put forth a great effort. It is somewhat reminiscent of an early James Taylor album. Dylan’s voice is soothing, his lyrics are powerful, and the music is relaxing and meaningful.

No comments: