Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Brother, Not a Sister

My daughter had a rough time adjusting when we had my son. She wasn’t quite two yet and didn’t really understand why she now needed to share her mommy. Since that day a little over a year ago she has grown in leaps and bounds. Despite her love and adoration for her brother she has been rather insistent that she does not want me to have another baby. She says she just wants it to be her and her brother. So I was a little surprised the other day when she said, "Mommy, you can have another baby." I had to ask her to repeat herself, as I was sure I didn’t hear her correctly. Sure enough she repeated the sentiment. I said, "Oh, so you want another brother or sister?" She said, "No, not a sister; only a brother." I told her I had very little control over that. She may get a brother or she may get a sister. I could see the wheels spinning as she thought about this, carefully weighing the odds in her head and then she said, "Well, then I don’t want you to have another baby."

No comments: