Monday, August 11, 2008

In Spite of My Mistakes

Motherhood brings with it a certain self-consciousness. I find myself criticizing my decisions or second-guessing my judgement. I am always thinking of ways I could have some something differently or handled a situation better after the fact. I guess that is why they say hindsight is 20/20.

The good news is that the longer I’ve been a mom the less I doubt myself. With each decision my resolve strengthens and my confidence improves. I quit being so hard on myself and so critical of my decisions. Being a mother is a constant learning experience. We will never know it all. We can only hope the decisions we make won’t mess our kids up permanently.

So far letting them stay up later than they should upon occasion, once in a while losing my temper and yelling at them, letting them eat fast food when I’m too exhausted to cook, and the myriad of other decisions I have made have not scarred them or turned them into bitter human beings. In fact, for all the mistakes I think I have made they are quite remarkable, well-adjusted kids.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

With my son 18 and heading to college, I look back and think I did a pretty good job raising him. There were times, especially when he was little, that I figured I was scarring him for life(!) but he's well-adjusted, polite and intelligent.
I think we do what we know, instill our beliefs and hope for the best!

Gena B. said...

I have a lot of those same doubts, but I just figure I do the best I can and that is all anyone can really do. You're probably just too hard on yourself!