Friday, August 1, 2008

Shut Up and Quit Whining!

I’ve read a lot of blog postings lately where some of the readers have become offended in the name of political correctness or factual accuracy or the like. I recently posted a piece that a few particular individuals were indignant about. I’ve posted in the past a few pieces about free speech, our first amendment rights, and the internal battle most bloggers go through when deciding whether or not to post a piece that may offend. It’s not a decision that most take lightly. For me I weight the potential negative ramifications with the importance of the point I am trying to make.

In the world we live in with technology at the forefront and the internet yet another avenue of communication it seems that often times the intent or meaning of words are not properly conveyed through cyberspace. On the other hand, people need to chill out. It is ridiculous that we have let political correctness overtake common sense. We’re so afraid that we might potentially offend somebody that we quit saying anything and quit taking stands on issues we believe in.

With all writing, but with a blog especially, there is a certain poetic license the author is allowed. Reading much of anything these days, but certainly a blog, requires it to be read with a certain grain of salt and the assumption that some "facts" may be exaggerated for effect. In very few forums other than blogging does the audience feel so entitled to so much input as to the content of the writing. You would never assume an author of a book or magazine article and newspaper publication would take out vital portions of his/her writing because it might offend or ruffle someone’s feathers and you as the reader certainly wouldn’t ask them to. (If you insist that you would you do really have a complex issue and nothing I say in this post is going to change that). People really need to get over themselves.

A blog is a singular person’s opinions, thoughts, experiences, frustrations, celebrations, ramblings, etc. It is an outlet for that expression, much like a journal, just a public one. Being a blog it is asinine to think that the blogger should take input from others when it comes to the content being potentially offensive. It’s also interesting that so many have deemed themselves the elected ones to dictate to a writer what he/she can or cannot write about. What makes them so special that they think writing should be censored for their comfort? I would suggest that if people don’t like the views being expressed on a certain blog then they should quit reading it. Nobody is forcing them.

I don’t have any overwhelming need to edit myself for anyone else’s comfort. I don’t intentionally try to hurt, offend, or piss people off. But I realize that as I write about topics that people have differing views on and write about a topic passionately I am bound to offend a few. However, this is my blog. It’s my place to be free to express myself. If, as a reader, you are offended, I am sorry. But let me ask you, are you truly offended or are you conditioned to respond that way because we live in an overly sensitive society that is expected to rally to the defense of all those who have been deemed "weak" or "handicapped" or "a minority" (the list goes on) and that being so conditioned to respond to all things in political correct terminology we have lost our ability to look at situations rationally and without any bias?