Wednesday, August 13, 2008

He Stuck It Where?

Well, we had a bit of "excitement" around here today. My son stuck what I thought was a Polly Pocket shoe up his nose. Way up his nose! I saw him do it but was too slow to stop him in time. It was visible with a flashlight but too far up for me to safely remove it myself. I don’t even think I own anything long enough or small enough to reach that far up his poor nose. It was understandably uncomfortable and he was sneezing quite a bit, which I hoped would dislodge it. It didn’t.

I took him to the doctor so she could extract it. She wasn’t sure she would be able to, but said she’d try it twice and if she couldn’t get it she would send me to an ENT doctor immediately because she didn’t want to press the object further up his nose. Fortunately, she was able to pull it out on the first try. It wasn’t as easy as it sounds. It required the aid of three nurses to hold him down as he screamed bloody murder. She then had to pry his nose open with what can only be described as looking pretty close to what an ob/gyn uses to prop open your woman parts during a pap exam. She then used extremely long tweezers to grab hold of it and pulled it out.

It wasn’t a Polly Pocket shoe, which pleased my daughter greatly, but a round piece of pink hard plastic that had come off my daughter’s jewelry box. Anyway, he is fine although we were told to watch him for a week for any nasal discharge or odor (I know, gross) which would indicate something else is still lodged deeper in his nose.

So, then tonight at dinner my son is sitting in his high chair eating. You would think he would have learned his lesson about sticking things up his nose. Apparently he has not. I look up and he is trying to stuff pieces of chicken up his nose. If this continues he really might send me to an early grave.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Yikes. That kind of "up the nose" stuff always scares me. Glad to hear it ended well.