Saturday, August 30, 2008

Grandma's Feather Bed

When I was a kid my dad used to sing and play the guitar for my siblings and me quite a bit. While he played a variety of songs I can remember most vividly "Puff the Magic Dragon" by Peter, Paul, and Mary, "Grandma’s Feather Bed" by John Denver, and a variety of James Taylor songs. I guess it is only appropriate that our children listen to many of these same songs. Yesterday we were at Barnes and Noble looking at books and I found one called Grandma’s Feather Bed
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/john+denver/grandmas+feather+bed_20073638.html
that is based on the John Denver song. I bought it without "testing" it out (meaning reading it to my daughter to see if it gets the yeah or nay vote) primarily because it is a song that I love so much and think is fun. My kids are so into music that I figured they’d be receptive to just about anything.

When we got home I started reading (singing actually) it to my kids. I think I sang the song close to 50 times in the span of a few hours. They asked for it over and over again. (The pictures in the book are pretty hillbilly funny too) The kids love it and my daughter has already started memorizing some of the words. It feels like things have come full
circle when she is rocking out to the same tunes I did when I was her age.

My next goal is to learn to play it on the guitar (I’ve already mastered Puff, the Magic Dragon and a few James Taylor songs, among a variety of others). It’s funny how songs I haven’t thought of or heard in decades are suddenly such a prominent part of my life and the lives of our children. My husband and I love music: all types. We listen to things ranging from the popular to the obscure, from oldies to up and coming, virtually anything. I’m glad that our children, our daughter especially at this point, have adopted that same receptiveness and curiosity and interest in a variety of types of music. They don’t care what it is, just that they can groove and dance to it. (Yesterday my daughter asked me to put in Johnny Cash. Hard to believe considering Cash was my maternal grandfather’s favorite artist and now his great-granddaughter asks for his CD’s by name). So, on that note I better start figuring out how to play this song so I’m prepared for the day we decide to have a family ho-down.

1 comment:

Gena B. said...

Never heard of the song. You have me curious now. The lyrics seem fun.