Thursday, August 21, 2008

My Ballerina Princess

Our daughter had her second ballet class today. After her limited participation last class I wasn't quite sure what to expect. However, today as I peeked my head in, she was dancing and participating entirely. I guess she just needed one class to take it all in.

I stood in the doorway watching her in her adorable leotard and tights, with her hair pulled back into a pony tail, listening to her teacher and following all the directions and I just thought, "How heartwarmingly cute." She was having so much fun and looked like such a little girl and not a baby any longer. She's only three, but somehow watching her in that class she looks and acts so much older.

After class she sang all the songs to me that they danced to in class and when we got home I got a complete reinactment of every dance and activity they did. My husband got the same reinactment when he got home. (She was beyond excited as she has not seem him in 3 days).

The good news is that she seems to really enjoy the class and has made new friends. She's come out of her shell as well, which is a neat transformation to watch. She told me today that her teacher didn't think a rag that was brought it was my daughter's. (My daughter has horrible allergies and instead of rubbing her nose raw with Kleenex, she uses her brother's old soft burp cloths as "snot rags".) I guess the teacher tried to give it to another little girl at the end of class. Apparently, my three year old went up and said, "Excuse me, Miss K but that is my rag." The teacher said, "Oh, sweetie I don't think so. I think it's so and so's" My daughter insisted and then once she got the rag back said, "Thank you very much." Just to hear her recount this story makes me laugh.

In any event, today's class was a success and my daughter is having a great time. I don't know if ballet will be something she'll stick with or outgrow and right now it doesn't really matter. I'm just glad that she is enjoying herself and making friends. She did tell me today that when she is four she wants to do karate....the way she pronounces karate, with a rolled r, is hysterical enough for me to ask her ten times a day what she wants to do when she is four. The fact that she kicks her foot and does a chop with her hands while saying "karate" with her rolled r makes me ask at least another five times.

No comments: