Thursday, August 21, 2008

Half-Assed Repairs

I took my wedding ring to the jeweler earlier this week because one of the prongs holding my center diamond had chipped resulting in the ring getting caught on clothing and my poor children's skin. I picked it up last night not really taking the time to examine it closely. When I got it home something about the ring just didn't look or feel right.

This morning it still didn't look right and I finally figured out that they had not aligned the wedding band evenly with the engagement ring when they saudered them back together, thus creating a gap between the two that was uncomfortable and unsightly. Furthermore, the center diamond on the wedding band was now placed crooked. That part was not even supposed to be touched. Finally, I noticed that the ring felt really big so I thought they might have sized it incorrectly.

Long story short I had to take the ring back to the jeweler today. They saw what I saw and agreed to fix it. They measured my ring though and it was the same size 7 it has always been yet the ring was spinning around my finger and falling off. She asked if I had recently lost weight, to which for the first time in a long time I could answer, "Yes, actually I have." So, they resized my ring finger and it is now a 6 1/4.

So, while I was and still am frustrated by the half-assed job they did with the repair and rather angry that I had to go out of my way to drop it off again, not to mention will have to go out of my way again to pick it up, it was exciting to learn that I've lost so much weight that even my fingers have gotten skinnier.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Congrats on the ring finger weight loss but BOO to that jeweler. Talk about not checking their work!
When I was pregnant 2x I smacked my ring against a fixture in the bathroom and the diamond popped out (picture a very larrgge pregnant person crawling around looking for a 1/2c. diamond!). I had to have it reset into a five prong setting.