Thursday, August 14, 2008

Little Ballerina

My daughter had her first day of Ballet Class today. She was so excited to put on her tights and leotard and ballet shoes. She looked so precious. All the little girls did. She was a bit shell shocked by the entire experience. She stood there most of the time just watching, soaking it all in. I wasn't really sure what she though; if she liked it. Afterward she said she liked it and wanted to keep going and that next time she'd try dancing with the other girls. Since she watched most of it I wasn't quite sure what she had absorbed. However, when we got home she told me almost every single girl's name in the class (there are 14) and what she was wearing. So, she was obviously focused.

The teacher seems to be really good with them and was really reassurring to my daughter and the few others who were hesitant to participate. She gently encouraged them, but also told them (and all us nervous moms) that it was okay for them to just observe. It's our first class of this sort so I want it to be a positive experience for her. I don't really care, in the long run, if dance is something she sticks with, but I do want her first experience as being part of a class, a team, to be a positive one and an experience she wants to repeat whether it is dance class or some other variety of class.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

How exciting for her! I think it's good to get kids into group activities early so they can socialize and be part of a group.

Gena B. said...

That's great. I hope she likes it and I'm sure she'll participate more once she gets her bearings. I bet they all look adorable.