Friday, August 8, 2008

My Daughter, The Cheerleader

Since I started working out in April I’ve been really good about making sure I get to the gym at least five times a week. I’m fortunate in that there is a child watch area where my children can play while I exercise. They love it, as it’s become a part of their daily routine. Most days I get up, feed the kids, and then head to the gym. It’s automatic. I don’t really ever even think about if I want to go or not, I just go.

Today was different. Yesterday I added some different lifts (namely weighted lunges) to my routine and also this week increased the amount of weight I lift. Needless to say, that today I was very sore. My butt, quads, and inner thighs just burned. It hurt to sit, walk, stand, and basically even move. The last thing I wanted to do was go to the gym and have to move these achy muscles. So, I decided that I would take today off.

About an hour after we all got up my daughter realized something was different and started asking if we were going to go to the gym. I told her that we were going to take a break today because mommy was sore and tired. She insisted that I go exercise. After some hesitation, I decided that instead of spending the next hour answering questions about why we weren’t going to go to the gym today I’d be better off just going. Once I got there and started beating cheeks on the elliptical I was really glad I went. The soreness wasn’t as bad once the muscles got warmed up.

I guess that sometimes all you need is a little push. In this case a push from a 3 year-old who is used to her routine. Who would have thought that a 3 year-old could be so persuasive and encouraging? When I picked her up from the child watch and after she told me all the toys she played with she asked, "Aren't you glad you exercised mommy?" Yes, yes I am!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I like that kind of encouragement! I think ibuprofen would help the sore muscles as well as the loosening up. I hate that overworked feeling when you can't even get out of a chair!

Moxymama said...

Thanks! I'm going to go curl up with a bottle of ibuprofen now. I actually feel better and less sore now than I did before I worked out this morning.