Saturday, August 23, 2008

Joe Biden is Obama's Veep Pick

I just read that Obama has chosen Joe Biden, a senator from Delaware to be his running mate in this election. That really should not come as a surprise to anyone following this election. Personally, I think he is a good choice and like that Biden is a "tell it like it is" type of guy.

Beyond what he has done over the course of his political career I admire him more because of what he has overcome in his personal life. When he was elected to the Senate his wife and infant daughter were killed in a car accident. His two young sons were injured badly. He was actually sworn in from their bedsides. He then commuted everyday to DC and back so that he could care for his two sons, a habit he continues to this day.

He has obviously since remarried and had a daughter with this wife. I think it shows a great amount of courage for him to continue on after something so tragic. He had only been married 6 years at the time he lost his wife. They were young. I think about my husband and if I were to lose him or one of our children. He and I are about to celebrate 6 years of marriage in October. It would be utterly devestating to suffer such a loss. I have such an enormous amount of respect for Senator Biden because of how he conducted himself in the face of such tragedy. I respect him because he made his two motherless sons a priority.

I don't know as much as I should about him politically, but I know as a parent and a wife I admire him and respect him for the type of husband and father he is. A lot of times, even in politics, that really should count for more than it does.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I have heard of Joe Biden but I didn't know about his wife and daughter - how sad.
Am I being too cynical in thinking that some people within the republican party are going to try and "spin" that into a negative thing? I hope not but that's my gut reaction.
I can't imagine what tht must be like to lose people you love so tragically like that.

Moxymama said...

I feel the same way in that my suspicion is they will somehow exploit his loss to benefit the GOP. Pretty low move if they do.

Trippy Hippy said...

That is really sad. I agree with Nancy that the Republicans will somehow twist it and use it against him. Just too cruel if they do. That pain should be off-limits to the dirties of politivs.

Gena B. said...

i like biden and think he is a good choice and will balance obama well