Monday, July 28, 2008

Good Friends

I talked to two good old friends over the weekend who unfortunately I no longer live in close proximity to. I am really glad I got the chance to do so. It had been a few months since I’d spoken with either. After months of phone tag with both the stars seemed to align finally. One is a woman I went to college with and have known for about 11 years now. The other I worked with when I got my first teaching job, so I’ve known her about 8 or 9 years. They are both such positive people yet also grounded in reality. Talking with them made me miss them that much more. With my old work friend we compared notes on our children, as they are similar in age. With her there is never the "one upping" I referred to in a previous post. Conversation is easy and we both are genuinely happy for each other’s successes. My friend from college is pregnant with her first child and it is always fun to share in that excitement.
In talking with them today it made me re-realize a few things:
1. I miss living in the same city with these women and seeing them on a daily basis. They are so much fun.
2. Friendship is a two-way street and I am lucky that I have such wonderful, reciprocal relationships with them both.
3. I can’t imagine us ever not being friends. We have weathered disagreements, hurt feelings, petty arguments, and the like. Our friendship has always prevailed.
4. I am thankful that they are my friends. That is the bottom line.

No comments: