Saturday, July 5, 2008

4th of July Madness

Yesterday was my daughter’s 3rd birthday. My husband had to work so I planned to take her to the mall to get her a few small things and then take her to lunch along with my mom and grandma (her grandma and great-grandma).

While I was driving I get a phone call from my dad saying that my hubby’s mother had called him (We are estranged; they do not have our number. I won’t get into all of it, but it’s bad. She’s a lying, manipulative *#%!..rhymes with blunt). Apparently she wants to reconcile (this despite years of us trying to reconcile and being rebuked and ignored) and supposedly wanted to wish our daughter a happy birthday. They have never acknowledged our children before, never sent so much as a birthday card so I found this supposed motive rather suspicious. So, this kind of set the tone for the day. Daughter picked up on the fact that I was upset as was the rest of my family as m-i-l has an uncanny ability to lay in wait until she decides to strike reeking havoc on all. Ultimately, we had a good time at the mall and it was nice time spent with her, but I felt bad as she could tell things were tense.

This morning my mom calls and says that my father forgot to mention that supposedly she was calling because hubby’s father has been diagnosed with prostate cancer, thus the desire to reconcile (Another long story as to how my father forgot to mention this..something about all the yelling. Also begs the question why his father didn't call himself) After much discussion I convince my husband that he needs to call his father and find out what is going on. Long story short, he DOES NOT have cancer. His PSA levels were elevated possibly because he’s had pneumonia for 2 weeks and he has an enlarged prostate, as do most men in their mid-60’s. At this point the doctors do not think it is cancer. He is going in in October for further testing.

It is infuriating that they’d choose our daughter’s birthday to drop this bomb. Suppose he did have cancer. Now my husband would forever associate our daughter’s birthday with the day that he found out his father has cancer. It is more infuriating that his mother flat out lied about the condition on our daughter’s birthday just to get my husband to call them. I could fill an entire year’s worth, probably more, of blog entries explaining this entire situation and our history with them over the last 7 years, but I won’t. Bottom line: She is nuts. I don’t want my children anywhere around her and I fully resent her encroaching upon and manipulating my daughter’s birthday to try to attain her twisted, sick goal…whatever that is.

P.S. They got the news about his PSA levels over a week ago. She deliberately sat on the information and waiting for our daughter's birthday. She could have called any time over the course of the last week. That is what I resent the most.

No comments: