Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Open Letter to My Daughter

My Dear Sweet Baby Girl,
Words cannot even begin to express how proud I am to be your mommy. If God allowed me to pick out any little girl I wanted, it would always be you. I couldn’t have dreamed up a more perfect creation. It seems that the older you get the harder it is to find the right words to accurately encapsulate who you are, your personality, and your spirit. I love everyday with you. It is a journey. Sometimes a challenging journey, but one that I willingly embark on. You have so many great characteristics: You are loving, compassionate, independent, and strong-willed. I love how inquisitive you are, constantly asking questions. Your mind is like a sponge. I am constantly amazed at the wealth of knowledge you are able to retain. Your father and I sit in awe as we see the wheels turning in your precious little head. I love your eccentric personality. You are your own, independent person and that is exactly what I desire for you to be. The pressure of your peers does not sway you. You do not depend on them for your identity. I delight in your love of music. You spend hours a day singing both songs you have made up and songs that we listen to in the car or at home. Your ability to remember the words and sing the tune with the correct intonations is impressive. It melts my heart when you sing your brother to sleep, often then falling asleep yourself. I love how you will randomly declare that you love me while giving me a hug and kiss. You always seem to know just when I need that the most. You are a sensitive soul and I love you for that. I am so proud of you and I always will be. There is nothing you could ever to that would make me love you any less. I know as you get older we will have our differences and disagreements, but you will always be my baby and nothing you could ever do would ever change that. As you get older I watch you grapple with so many new emotions. I am proud of you for being able to express how you feel.

My dear sweet girl, this letter does not even scratch the tip of the iceberg when it comes to my adoration and love for you. There is not a word in the English language that comes close to accurately describing my feelings for you. You are my first born, my daughter. You always will be. As I check in on you sleeping so soundly and peacefully it shocks me to realize three years have gone by. You are such a little girl and no longer a baby. You have developed a personality that is all your own and it is a personality I admire and respect. You are beautiful! Big blue eyes, gorgeous blonde hair, and one of the most expressive faces I have ever seen.

I don’t know what prompted this letter today other than the fact you are growing up and it is with both joy and sorrow that I realize this.

Just know that I love you and always will!

Love,
Mama

1 comment:

Gena B. said...

Your daughter sounds amazing! The preschool years are great years.