Monday, July 21, 2008

Freedom of the Press: Our 1st Amendment Right

The blessed 1st amendment guarantees us the right to freedom of religion, free press, free speech, the right to petition and assembly. The second amendment ensures us the right to bear arms. As the amendments continue we are ensured of many more rights. It is these rights that as an American I value yet are often taken for granted.


We want the freedom of press and speech as long as it doesn’t offend. Once it does then people start crying for censorship. We want the right to assemble until it becomes disorderly, then people call for arrests to be made. People want guns and want to be able to get them with as little red tape as possible and if anyone tries to suggest otherwise it essentially incites a riot.



Americans are funny people though. When it suits our needs we cling tight and spout the constitution. However, when we are the ones offended by certain things we have no problem asking or demanding that others sacrifice or abandon their constitutional rights for their benefit. Here’s the thing. I don’t always agree with what others do, but if they are within their rights I would not ask them to sacrifice those rights. So many though equate their disapproval with the need to stomp on the rights of others. It is truly a double standard that is played out day after day.
I don’t know why the same people who cling to the constitution and demand their own rights are the ones who are so eager to take away the constitutional rights of others. Just a little food for thought.


***As warned I have posted a slew of writings these past few days. Some of the things posted I’d written a while ago, but most are new. It’s been a rough week and I’m emotionally and physically exhausted. There just seems to be such crap and drama on a daily basis that I can hardly take it anymore. It makes me just want to hole up in my house and never come out and have to deal with anyone. On that note, I am going to drag my exhausted and frustrated ass to bed and be thankful for the husband and children I have. I’m thankful that I live in a country where we have freedoms and liberties even though most of the time it may not feel that way and even though on a daily basis I feel like we must fight to protect these liberties that are in constantly under attack and in jeopardy of being snatched from us. Good night and God bless!

No comments: