Sunday, July 20, 2008

Working For a Living

So here’s something interesting that I read. Today 70 percent of women work outside the home. It made me start thinking about all the reasons women choose to work rather than stay home. I entirely understand if financial circumstances mandate that you hold a paying job. There are single moms out there that have to work to support their children. There are married moms who have to work to help support the family. What I don’t’ understand is those women who clearly do not have to work…their husbands make more than enough money for them to live comfortably, some even extravagantly, yet those women choose to go back to work. Here’s my deal: I don’t have some superior attitude that stay at home mom’s are somehow better or love their kids more than moms who work outside the home, but I do think that if you are able to stay home without going into debt why wouldn’t you? If you don’t want to stay home with them, why have them? We know a couple whose husband makes over 350K a year. They live in a huge house, drive fancy new cars, have top of the line everything. Prior to having kids she worked making 250K a year. She went back to work after 6 months because they couldn’t figure out how to "downsize" their lives. Really? Trade the Mercedes for a Nissan or Toyota. Move out of the 5 million-dollar home to a 1 million-dollar home. There are ways. When the average household is making do with 40K a year it seems ludicrous that someone would exchange time with their child, time they won’t get back, to make money that is not truly needed.

1 comment:

Gena B. said...

I guess for me I need that sense of self and autonomy. I like to work. I would like to spend more time at home, but i love my job.