Wednesday, July 23, 2008

One Up

What is the deal with people who constantly feel the need to "one up" everyone else? It is an epidemic in our society. If someone says, "My husband/wife is so loving and patient. He's/She's the best." Someone else then feels the need to counter with, "Oh, my husband/wife is the best there is." Or someone compliments their children and then another feels the need to point out how great they think their children are. There seems to be an absense of genuine or spontaneous expression.

Admittedly I am competitive with a lot of things. However I don't like the game of "My family is better" or "My life is better" that so many seem to play. It also begs the question of why others feel the constant need to top others. Is something lacking in their own life? Is there an insecurity that they are trying to mask? I think it is funny as so many attempt to be clever and play this game without trying to look like they are playing. Or they play it with people who could give a damn about "keepin' up with the Joneses".

It's just a funny observation I've had lately and it just makes me wonder why people feel the need to do this. I love my family and I will tell anyone who listens, but I don't proclaim to love my family any more than you love yours. I think my husband is a good man and the best husband to me. That doesn't disqualify your belief that your husband is the best husband to you. It's just strange that so many seem to have this compulsive need to make their life, their kids, their spouse better than anyone else's.

Any thoughts?

3 comments:

Gena B. said...

I think like you said a lot of it has to do with insecurity or the desire to have others perceive their lives as more perfect and happy than it really may be. It's really a bit passive=aggressive. You are smart to not engage in such foolishness. Some people might not even know they are doing it though. Maybe??

jodifur said...

I hate that. I also hate, oh you had a bad day, what until you hear about my bad day. It's so annoying.

Nancy said...

My sisters and I have a running joke about my cousins (including their dearly departed mother). Everybody lovvvvesss them; it's the besssstttt place to work; the house they bought is perrrffffecctt - are you getting the picture? Until they get divorced/break up; find another job or move/lose the house....
(Hi! found you through Rude Cactus)