Monday, July 7, 2008

The Last Birthday Party

4th of July weekend has come and gone. Unfortunately, minus the fact it was my daughter's birthday, the weekend was the same as every other weekend. My husband of course was working and I was alone with the kids.

As mentioned previously it was my daughter's 3rd birthday which meant we had to plan for and execute a party. As a whole this went much more smoothly than the preparations for my son's 1st birthday party. I'm not really sure why. We had family and friends over and my daughter had a great time. It was nice that she was able to spend her day with those she enjoys and we're thankful that all invited could make it and share that time with us.

That being said, I am sooooo over children's birthday parties...at least my own children's parties. It seems like I clean, and shop, and plan, and cook for a week or two leading up to the party and then the whole thing is over in 2 hours flat. Rather anti-climatic. We tried to convince our daughter to not have a party...just go out to eat with us and her grandparents (and yes, we'd still get her a cake), but in the span of less than two months she watched her brother have a party and her two close friends have parties, thus the need for a party of her own.

Overall, I'm glad we had this party for her because she'd been so looking forward to it, but I hope next year we can convince her of some type of alternative. I'm just not sure what that alternative is yet. It obviously has to be something "neat" to compete with an actual party. Any ideas?

No comments: