Thursday, July 10, 2008

What I Learned at the Doctor's Office

My daughter had her 3-year-old check up today. Here is what I learned:

- My daughter’s refusal to eat any meat has had no effect on her health. They were worried about her being iron deficient but her blood work all came back perfect. Apparently I am feeding her enough whole grains fortified with iron to compensate.

- I am a good mom. I put a lot of pressure on myself. I am my biggest critic. I need to relax and cut myself some slack. My daughter is healthy, happy, and by all accounts thriving and developing wonderfully.

- My daughter cracks me up. When the doctor told her she needed to look at her private parts, my daughter said, "No, you can’t look there. You can look in my ears, though."

- I love our doctor. It made me realize how important it is to have a good relationship with your doctor. Even after our appointments she sits around and chats with us about her children and grandchildren. It makes for a very comfortable and easy partnership. It helps that we have near identical philosophies about raising children. It makes my children that much more relaxed and at ease. They don’t ever fear having to go in for a doctor’s appointment.

No comments: