Thursday, July 31, 2008

Passion on the Side, Please!

My daughter starts a Tap and Ballet class in two weeks so we spent a lot of time this week driving all over town to get all of the necessary gear. For a kids’ class it sure requires quite a bit of "stuff". We had to purchase a dance bag, 3 leotards, 4 pairs of tights, tap shoes, elastic to replace the ties on the tap shoes as per the teacher’s instructions, ballet shoes, headbands and hair ties. I’m sure I am forgetting something.

Daughter is incredibly excited and talks about her dance class every day. It is our first attempt at an organized class for her. I’m eager to see how she does. I could care less whether she is good at dance or not (if she inherits anything from me or my husband I’m going to venture to say that dancing is not going to be her thing) as long as she enjoys it. I think at this age, exposure is the key. We are not of the philosophy that toddlers and preschoolers should be booked with wall to wall activities. She’s only taking dance and if she likes it she can continue next year. If not, we will try something else. I’d like to see her give Karate a try since it was something I loved as a child. Overall though, I just want her to experience different activities and then she can choose which one or ones she likes and wants to pursue.

Many assume that because I played college basketball I want the same for my children. I don’t. If basketball becomes their sport I will support them entirely. However, I’d feel the same if their interest were swimming, tennis, dancing, music, art, miming (haha), etc. I just want them both to feel passionately about something; to experience being part of a group that works together toward a common goal. I realize my kids are three and one and I’m looking a ways into the future. I just want them to enjoy what they do and do what they enjoy. I think, or at least I’d hope, that every parent feels the same way.

So what classes or activities are your kids involved in? Do they enjoy it?

1 comment:

Gena B. said...

My daughter did ballet for a few months. She didn't really fall in love with it though. We have her in a kiddie music class now, which she seems to enjoy.