Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Neurotic Mom of a PreSchooler

So, we got in! To preschool, that is. My daughter could not be more excited about it and while I am excited for her I am also nervous. I don't really know why. Maybe it is simply anxiety over the unknown. I know my daughter will love it. I can predict that after the first week she will be asking why I didn't sign her up for more days than just two a week and really I won't have a good answer other than "it was a feeling I had." My husband and I decided about 4 months ago we were going to send her to preschool. I called around and got all the information. Our options were 2, 3, or 5 days a week. My husband and I settled on three days a week.

Then came Sunday night. I tossed and turned and kept coming back to preschool. She wants to go, so I want her to go. But I couldn't help but feeling that 3 days was too much....for ME. I'm sure our daughter would be fine three days a week, but I started feeling too committed. What if I wanted to go to the zoo or the Children's Museum or a playgroup or a variety of other activities we do on a weekly basis? That leaves only two days for those things. (Are you sensing I'm a bit neurotic about this?) So, I woke up and told my husband about my misgivings. He said either two or three days would be fine, but that I should decide since I am the one home with them.

I was seriously torn. I stood in lining fretting the entire time and when I got up to the registration table I stuttered a bit before signing her up for 2 days. I am not sure if I made the right decision. I am hoping I did. I figure between those two days at school, a day possibly for ballet if we choose to continue, and possibly another day for karate that she wants to join those are a lot of activities.

So, until August 3 comes I will be anxious, constantly second guessing my decision. I know you, my internet friends, have kids in preschool. I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences, both good and bad.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

My kids are well out of preschool, but when they went, it was for 2 days. Especially with the other day trips you mentioned, and at that age, 2 days is plenty! I wouldn't fret about it, it's good you want her home too, which is most important.

Shiloh Guy said...

Yes, small world anyway! It's too bad. I was really getting excited to run over and talk to Pat about my new friends who are related to him! The MB church is the mega-church in Shafter now. It has several hundred in worship every Sunday. Big youth ministries and lots of good programs. But they have been very welcoming and I've learned a lot about a denomination I knew almost nothing about before! Thanks for writing back. Dave