Friday, March 20, 2009

Two Conversations I Was Not Quite Ready To Have

Conversation Uno: Our daughter has asked in the past who makes babies. Wanting to be truthful and accurate, without going into the graphic specifics, I have told her that mommies and daddies make babies. That answer has pacified her until now. Today on the ride home from the zoo, out of nowhere, we had the following conversation.

Daughter: Mommy, how are babies made?
Me: (after a long pause fighting for composure) What do you mean?
Daughter: How are babies made? Like how did you and daddy make me?
Me: Well, um, when mommies and daddies love each other very much they get together and make a baby.
Daughter: I know, but how do they make it?
Me: Well, they take a part of mommy and a part of daddy and mix it together and that makes a baby.
Daughter: And then that baby grows in your tummy?
Me: Yep, then the baby grows in the mommy's tummy.
Daughter: And then Doctor Howie (my ob/gyn) pulls the baby out of your tummy.
Me: Yeah, Doctor Howie or another doctor.
Daughter: Will I get to do that when I get older?
Me: Do what?
Daughter: Make a baby.
Me: Yep, you sure will.
Daughter: Mommy, let me tell you something very important.
Me: Sure, what is it?
Daughter: When I am a mommy you can come live with me and my kids and I'll take care of you.

Conversation Dos: Tonight we went out to dinner at a restaurant that has stuffed heads (animal, not human) mounted on the wall. I never really paid any attention until my daughter seemed a bit bothered.

Daughter: Mommy, where is the rest of that deer?
Me: Well, I am not really sure (I didn't want to tell her daddy was probably about to eat it)
Daughter: Did someone kill it? Is it dead?
Me: Yes, it is dead.
Daughter: But mommy why would someone want to kill that sweet, cute little deer?
Me: Well, some people hunt animals sweetheart.

The rest of the evening she sat silently, staring at the mounted head. I was heartbroken for her.

No comments: