Friday, March 6, 2009

Technology Haitus

I love technology and gadgets. I love my blackberry (sorry iPhone users), email, blogs, etc. Lately, though, I am beginning to feel it is often more a pain in the ass, more of a hindrance, than it is anything else. What is it about this instant communication that really makes people communicate less in a way? We shoot off quick emails, send quick updates via twitter and facebook, check news updates like our life depended on it. It's all just getting old right now. All this technology seems to depersonalize correspondence in a way. When is the last time you received a handwritten letter that wasn't some to do list from your spouse? When was the last time you opened your mailbox and found something other than bills addressed to you? (For us, I think it was Christmas season).

I don't know. I'm just frustrated with technology right now, frustrated with how it is used and abused, frustrated how intent and meaning is often lost in written correspondence sometimes resulting in unintended meanings. Just frustrated. So, I am trying something new for a while. Aside from this blog (and yours, of course) I am disconnecting myself from my various email accounts, from facebook, from news alerts and updates and all the other random things that are just really pissing me off right now. I don't know how long it will last; I guess until I don't feel annoyed anymore.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I know what you mean. Sometimes it all becomes too much - that's when you don't see many comments from me! I'm still reading, just not commenting! I also try to stay off the computer in the evening and just check my phone for updates!
Yeah, my Samsung Instinct is like crack :) I can check my emails and Facebook without ever sitting at a computer and I love that!

Joanne said...

I like your idea, Moxy. I don't have facebook, myspace, twitter, camera phone. With just a few computers in the house, a very basic cell phone for emergency use, when I leave the house, I'm disconnected from the cyber world. Which in a way, enables me to give more to the technology I choose to use, including the blog. I don't know how I'd do it in a meaningful way otherwise, feeling like I'd be spreading myself too thin. I'll be curious as to how you feel about your disconnect once some time passes. Hope you'll update.

Emerald said...

I agree that all these sites can be time consuming and irritating. Facebook has been in the news lately speaking about employers checking out employees pages and firing them for offensive writings.