Monday, March 23, 2009

Look Who I Invited To Dinner

This evening we were all in the kitchen decorating cookies when our doorbell rang. My husband and son went to the door and opened it to find a sheriff's deputy. She informs us that she is responding to a 911 call from our house. Needless to say we were a bit confused. We asked what number the phone call came from. The number she relayed was not ours. We were pretty sure she had inverted the numbers of our address with that of one of our neighbors down the road. As she called dispatch to get the address of the call I invited her in and offered her something to drink and embarassingly, eat. She came in (declined the food and drink) and made small talk.

I have limited experience with police officers. I have never had one show up on my door step and honestly, it unnerved me a bit. So, I did what I'd do if a friend came over and invited her in. After she finally realized what house she was supposed to be at and left my husband was like, "What the heck were you doing? You now realize you are going to be the lady that the sheriff's department will now be making fun of for inviting one of their deputies to dinner."

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I think it was a nice gesture on your part, giving her a few social moments while she waited for the correct address. Rather than laugh at you, they'll probably be wishing all their calls were as pleasant as yours!