Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Barbie Boom

I spent hours today calling various toy stores: WalMart, Target, and Toys r Us and then driving like a bat out of hell to aforementioned toy stores all in an effort to locate and purchase the 50th Anniversary Barbie Dolls that were promotional priced at $3 each. Four times I got to the store as they had "just sold out." By this time I had realized the ridiculousness of my quest. After all, it is just a doll. My husband, on his lunch break, was able to locate and purchase one on the other side of town. I was happy with that, even though I ideally wanted four: two for play at our house and two for play at grandma's house.

As I gave up, my husband located a WalMart that actually had quite a few in stock and so like a man returning home from a big hunt, proud of his kill, my husband walked through our front door tonight, four Barbies in tow, and received a hero's welcome for the mission he accomplished. While my daughter is playing gently with her new Barbie and Princess dolls, my son is currently looking up the Barbie's skirt and trying to remove her shirt.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Now that's a toy that never went out of style, was never just a fad. She just keeps evolving, which I guess is one of the secrets to her longevity.