Monday, November 24, 2008

A Time To Be Thankful

With so many struggling it seems like a strange time to be thankful. People are losing their jobs, their homes, and the lives they have built. As with a lot of families we, too, have had to make changes to our lifestyle: some subtle and some drastic. Our generation is in unchartered waters. Most of us weren't affected by past recessions because we were either not born or too young. It's easy to lose sight, when things are seemingly going so wrong, of the blessings we have been granted. There are many things I am thankful for.

I am thankful that I have a family that I love and that loves me. I am thankful that we are all healthy (knock on wood). I think of parents who watch their children die, struggling to figure out a way to pay for treatment. I think of mothers fighting terminal cancer knowing that they will never see their children grow up and it just about kills me. I think of families who have loved ones overseas fighting in a war, not knowing if they will ever see them again. I think of those with no families, no support system and wonder how they get by, how they function.

With Thanksgiving just a few days away it seems to me to be a good time to reflect on all that is good in our lives. Even those in the midst of despair or on the verge of losing everything have at least one thing to be thankful for, I would bet.

What are you most thankful for this Thanksgiving?

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Much like you, I'm thankful for my family, the comfort of home, health. And the little things, a fire in the fireplace; turkey cooking in the oven! I guess for the awareness that the small things matter. Have a Happy, peaceful Thanksgiving.

Emerald said...

Well said. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.