Sunday, November 9, 2008

Running On Empty

I have spread myself very thin lately and it is beginning to take its toll. I'm tired and grouchy and did I mention tired? My husband is working a lot as usual but to now compound that I am working from home and it is hard to do that when I have two small children. Not much gets done. Plus when I do set aside time to work I feel guilty about not interacting with my kids for an hour or so...even though they are usually perfectly fine and occupied doing something else. (That is until there is some major crisis that errupts sending both of them into hysterics).

I am also currently considering taking a job teaching LSAT prep courses. It would only be 7 hours a week (spread out over 2-3 days) and something that could most likely be arranged around my husband's schedule. Plus it pays well. I'm not sure I really even want to do it, but I might.

The problem is I think I got a bit over eager and said yes to too many "jobs" when I should have just accepted one or two and focused on those. Now I feel like I don't have enough time for anything and I spend my days with our children (which I am blessed to do and totally fine with) and running our household but my nights are now spent working. That doesn't leave much time to sleep or do anything else for that matter.

How's everyone else feeling these days? Overworked? Underappreciated? Wonderful? Anywhere in between?

8 comments:

Nancy said...

Sometimes I feel like I've bit off more than I can chew because everything I do is done during the day because -- I don't go out at night!
When I feel harried, I just tell myself - Oh that doesn't really take that long, relax you have plenty of time. It usually works. BUT I don't have two children to care for like you do. So, I guess take a deep breath, be grateful that you are competent and your children will have a wonderful role model!
That and a glass of wine at the end of the day works wonders for me!

jodifur said...

an lsat prep course? Oh goodness, I hated the lsat sooo much.

Moxymama said...

Thanks Nancy....I just need to remind myself of that sometimes... I unfortunately have given up alcohol in my quest to lose weight. I may have to start making some exceptions.

Jodi, I too hated the LSAT. I have never sweat so badly than when taking that.

Unknown said...

I am a working mom with a working husband. I get to work at 7:15 am and don't leave until 5:00 pm to pick my children up from their daycare provider. My husband works second shift which means I don't seem him 5 days out of the week. The upside is that our children only have to spend 4 hours with someone else, but I can't get my school work done at home. I typically go in on Sundays for a couple of hours. I completely understand being stretched too thin.

Joanne said...

If you take an hour here & there while your children are pleasantly occupied, it's okay. It's good for them to see you doing something you need/want to, as an extension of the person you are. And regardless, I think we all have days/weeks when we are stretched too thin. Makes us appreciate the quiet times.

Moxymama said...

Stacy and Joanne,
I think you are both right. Everyone these days seems to be spread too thin. It has become the way of our world. I guess we all make sacrifices. Sometimes they just weigh more heavily than during other times.

Robyn said...

I absolutely feel all of the above. I am SO swamped at work right now, I feel behind in my "duties" at home (cleaning, cooking, laundry, etc.) and my patience is wearing thin with Bear. But, then Hubby or Bear will give me a smile or kiss and all is right with the world again. I'm such a fickle lady...

Although, with the holidays coming up, I've already had my first mild anxiety attack. So, stay tuned!

Emerald said...

I agree with Joanne. It is nice for your children to see mommy do
things mommy wants/needs to do. A tough economy now and many are working two or more jobs just to pay the mortgage. Sounds like you are doing a great job juggling it all. But remember you need a little quiet time each day to re-energize your body and spirit.