Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Keychains and Kitchens

Against my better judgment I went to Walmart yesterday in search of a simple keychain. My current keychain has a broken clasp and my keys keep falling off. Apparently, keychains are hard to come by in Arizona...they have them in every other state we vacation in. Anyway, I walked in and saw a Hispanic woman putting merchandise on the shelves. I assumed she spoke English since she was in a position to interface with customers. Here is the conversation that ensued...(I swear I could not make this stuff up).

Me: Excuse me, do you guys carry keychains?
Her: Keychains? (she repeated but looked very puzzled)
Me: Yes, keychains.
Her: (very long pause...slowly and haltingly she begins to speak) Like you cook in the kee-chin (kitchen)
Me: No, no keychain (and I take out my keys to show her)
Her: Oh (a look of recognition flashes over her face) I not know.
Me: Okay, thanks.

In relaying this to my husband he says, "That's like one of those jokes. You need to blog about this."

2 comments:

Emerald said...

Oh, my. That must have been uncomfortable.

Moxymama said...

It was a bit surreal. Almost felt like I was in an SNL skit.