Monday, June 15, 2009

Why I Dislike Costumes

Our daughter is attending Vacation Bible School at my sister's church this week, which is a sister congregation to the church my husband and I attend. When I pulled in the parking lot this morning, a couple minutes early, there were only a few cars in the parking lot. Standing in the corner of the breezeway I would need to walk through to enter the building was a man who had on dark glasses, a hood of some variety, and his face was also covered. He was standing there still, arms akimbo. He looked like the Unibomber, I kid you not. It unnerved me and I circled back in the parking lot, hesitant to get out of the car. Call me paranoid but with the proliferation of church shootings lately I wondered if this church was next. Honestly, there was a brief second where I contemplated getting out of there as fast as I could and calling the police.

During the time I was having this internal dialogue with myself the man turned around and revealed the rest of the costume: fins. Apparently, he was supposed to be a shark as the theme of VBS was "Dive In." It was at that moment my heart began to beat again.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

That would've unnerved me too. Sadly, we've heard too many news stories that prompt this.