Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mommy's Gone Catatonic

I hurt my neck, shoulders, and upper back two weeks ago. Not really sure how but it feels like a combination of extreme whiplash, stiff neck, and pinched nerve. I have been very uncomfortable to say the least.

I was given muscle relaxers, despite my hesitation to use them. (I'm pretty anti-medication; unless absolutely vital I'd rather just tough it out instead of depending on medicine for relief). I was in so much pain last night that I broke down and took one. It helped a little in that my husband was able to rub my neck and shoulders very lightly without me crying out in excruciating pain. However, all day today I was in a fog. Beyond tired, barely functioning. Just wiped out. At one point I closed me and the kids in a bedroom and layed on the bed as they played, barely able to keep my eyes open. It was awful.

What I learned is that I can never take this particular muscle relaxer again if I want to be able to function at all the next day. It's strange too because I usually have a very high tolerance with medication. When I go to the dentist, no lie, they give me a minimum of 10 shots before I am numb. They've never seen anything like it. When I had a cap put on my tooth I received 16 shots. It was excruciating the next day when the numbness wore off. So, it's a little strange that one pill, in a low dose, had such an effect on me.

So, I am fairly certain that the next time I am prescribed a muscle relaxer I'll politely decline and just find a way to live with the pain. I think a chiropractor may be my next stop.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I react to medication like that also.
I can't take the "new" novacain that has pseudoephedrine or something like that in it so they really have to numb me up with novacaine.
I've always avoided pain medication though for how it makes me feel so out of it. I think it was after removal of an ovarian cyst at night I took pain medication that was a combination of two things. I woke up in the middle of the night and thought I was paralyzed because my brain was so alive and my body not! I said to myself "if I can move my leg I will be ok"! I didn't take anymore of those!

Joanne said...

Wow, I hope you're feeling better soon. A year or so ago, I pulled a muscle in my neck, and I couldn't believe how painful just a pulled muscle could be! Hope this runs its course quickly!