Sunday, July 12, 2009

Keep on Truckin'

It is easy sometimes to take for granted the things we have been blessed with. I know that I am often guilty of this. It saddens me to think how many hours a week my husband has to work and how much he misses out on with our kids, yet because he works that much we can afford to pay our bills. While he works close to eighty hours a week there are others (and some in our immediate circle) who don't have jobs at all. When I think about their uncertain future it makes me so much more grateful that my husband is employed. I oftentimes think it would be easier if we had more disposable income (who doesn't?) to blow on luxuries and non-necessities and then I think about those who can't afford food to feed their families or those who are losing their homes. It is hard to not see my husband as often as I would like and I wish he and I had time to go out alone and spend more time together, yet then I think about a couple of friends of mine who are currently going through divorces and will be starting their lives over as single women. It makes me thankful for the time, however little it may be, that I do have with him.

Times seems to be rough for a lot of people right now. The economic struggles seem to permeate into the personal lives of those battling hardship. How can it not? As tough as things sometimes get I always try to remind myself to be thankful for what we have. We have food, clothing, and shelter. We have our health and our love for one another. Nobody is putting his/her life on the line fighting a war as many of our American men and women are doing on a daily basis. For all of those things I am thankful.

When I look around and see friends or people I know losing their homes, the lives they knew, their marriages, and their self-esteem it is disheartening and discouraging. However, it makes me that much more intent on making what I have and what my family has work. Everything is cyclical and what goes down must come up and while things are far from ideal we keep plugging away, holding on, working together. And that has to count for something.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I agree.
I don't take any of our good fortune for granted because I know how very quickly the tide can turn in our profession.
We've been hanging on by our fingertips this year but we're seeing more calls coming in.
It would be hard for me too to see my husband work so many hours - but you are with your children so that's important too.

Joanne said...

I think too there is a great team work ethic going on in your home. For as long and hard as your husband works, you're working equally to raise children, manage the budget and home, cooking and cleaning and errands. When all is said and done, it's so worth it to be with your children, especially when they are so young. It's very valuable time with them, for everyone's sake.

Moxymama said...

Nancy, I am glad to hear that you have been holding on and hopefully these calls are a sign that business will be picking up again soon!
Joanne, thank you. It is a balancing act that requires quite a bit of team work. I am certainly thankful that I am able to be home with my kids.