Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Condiment Central

Growing up, when I'd have friends over, we would inevitably end up in the fridge looking for food. I used to get made fun of because my friends would say, "Your house is the only house with a completely full fridge with only condiments and no food." And for the most part they were right. There was always turkey and cheese and fruit, but our fridge would be stocked with mustard, mayo, salad dressings, pickles, hot sauce, steak sauce, random concoctions my dad had mixed up, and every other possible condiment.

When my husband and I were dating he stopped by my apartment one day to visit. He makes fun of me to this day because according to him all that was in the fridge was ketchup, pickles, mustard, A1, and hummus and in my freezer simply a bottle of tanqueray vodka. He refers to my family as the Kings of Condiments.

So, when we got married he put a ban on excessive amounts of condiments in the fridge. Admittedly this was hard for me at first but I have managed to get by with mustard, mayo, ketchup, one bottle of hot sauce, A1, and only one thing of salad dressing at a time (made easier by the fact that I make our own salad dressing). This is quite the feat as my parents fridge still is condiment headquarters.

While my daughter doesn't like any condiment outside of mayo and even that is pushing it, my son seems to follow in his mother's footsteps and loves all condiments. So much in fact that he'll eat them plain...no food necessary. Needless to say, this is a stake in my husband's heart. And his mommy couldn't be more proud.

No comments: