Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Original Intent of Safe Haven Laws

I read the other day that two women took advantage of the Safe Haven Law in Nebraska. For those who are unfamiliar the Safe Haven law states you can drop off your child at places like a hospital or fire station if you are unable to care for him/her without fear of punishment. Most states have specified that this law is applicable to infants. However, to get the law passed in Nebraska the wording had to read "child". The law is vague in its definition of a child.

These two women dropped off teens, one fourteen and the other fifteen. I can't help but feel like this is in direct conflict with the original intent of the law. I can't imagine getting rid of your child at that age (or any age for that matter). (One of the women gave up her nephew, for whom she was the legal guardian). I just think it sends the message that anytime children become overwhelming that we can just make them someone else's responsibility or problem, as the case may be.

I am all for the Safe Haven law when it comes to infants. I'd much rather women have a safe place to take their babies if they make the decision they cannot care for him/her than to dump the baby in a dumpster or bathroom stall or worse. A newborn baby with the umbilical cord still attached was left in a garbage can at an elementary school in Phoenix, Arizona just this morning. The 14-year old mother will now face charges.
Let's be honest, most who leave their babies are young teens who are ill-equipped and immature. Oftentimes the best thing they can do for that baby is to give it to someone who can offer the baby stability and love. So, in that respect I think it is vital that woman can feel secure in giving up their baby at "approved" locations without fear of reprisal.

I just really can't imagine that many would find it okay to just give up your teenager. There have been days where I have thought to myself how much easier it would be without my children. Where they have simply driven my absolutely crazy. How many people will now think that same thought, but instead of it ending at simply a thought will actually go get rid of their children? I don't know. No one does right now. I guess the people of Nebraska are about to find out.

3 comments:

Gena B. said...

I cannot believe it is allowed that people can give up teens. Are you sure? How sad for the child.

Gypsy Gal said...

I am not surprised at all, unfortunately. As a hospital nurse I have seen how guardianships are changed when a teen under 18 has chronic medical problems. Very sad.

Moxymama said...

I'm fairly certain. I read it in the paper the other day. It's strange to me that people just turn over "possession" of their children.