Monday, May 26, 2008

In the Garden of Good.....Vegetables and Herbs

Three years ago my husband "built" me a little area in our back yard so I could garden. We planted an array of vegetables and watched them grow. After the first "harvest" we didn't plant again...a huge reason was because we had two dogs that constantly dug and ruined the garden over and over again.

A few days ago a friend mentioned that she had started up a garden and it got me all nostalgic for my gardening days. There's something rewarding in working hard to plant and care for food that we will eventually eat. Then a day or two after that my niece said they had planted popcorn kernals to watch them grow into a variation of corn on the cob (I had no idea this was possible; I thought we were all going along with it so we didn't crush her tender imagination. Turns out it's true. Who'da thunk it?) Anyway, my 2 year old daughter informs me after overhearing both conversations that she wants to grow her vegetables and flowers. So, we resurrected the garden. We worked all day Sunday preparing the soil, buying seeds, and planting. My daughter is a trooper. She helped the entire day; she potted plants, watered the garden, helped "feed" the garden bed. The fruits of our labor is all up and running.

We are down to one dog now who got into the garden and flowers hours after I labored over them. We fixed everything and put up some fencing to try to block her but it looks like she still found a way to get into my herbs. I'm telling you, if that dog destroys my garden she will be going on a little trip to the pound.

Anyway, for those of you who care, we planted tomatoes, green onions, radishes, carrots, cucumbers, squash, cilantro, basil, habenero pepers, two other kinds of hot peppers, and sweet red bell peppers. We also planted an array of flowers. Can't wait to see what happens!

No comments: