Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Reminder To Give Thanks

I'm always saddened when I hear of a death. I have an especially hard time when those deaths are senseless, involve children, or involve parents of young children. Yesterday I read of Mike Tyson's four year old daughter essentially being strangled by a cord on a treadmill machine, necessitating her being placed on life support. I knew then she would die and today she did. Maybe it is because I have an almost four year old daughter, but the incredible sadness I felt when reading this brought me to tears. As I type this I am looking at my daughter, so full of life. To think, as the result of some freak accident, that her life could be taken is overwhelming and suffocating.

Then this afternoon I read that the wife of Arizona's Treasurer died shortly after giving birth to their first child and that the child is in "grave condition." I think about how much joy surrounded both of my pregnancies and how excited we were for the new arrivals. To have that result in the death of the mother and possibly the death of the son is tragic.

When I think about all that could go wrong each day I thank my lucky stars that despite anything else that may be going on my family has its health. It should not take tragedies like this to make me appreciate all I have, but sometimes it does. When I think about all the material things I'd like to have, or the places I'd like to go, I really should just be thankful that I have people in my life who love me and support me and who aren't facing some life-threatening situation.

When I read stories like this I hug my children extra tight. So, that is what I am going to go and do right now.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Me, too. What tragic stories, how very sad for these families. And sadly, they remind us of our blessings, and to appreciate them each and every day.

Nancy said...

Oh I know how you feel!
Tyson's daughter's - that was such a senseless tragedy. Another one of those "who would have thought" accidents.