Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Getting Stuff Done

For the past 6 years whenever there has been a problem with billing, insurance, our homeowners association, or any of the other variety of things that always end up going wrong it was me on the phone taking care of these issues. For a long time I didn't mind it; I actually kind of liked it. Then I had children. It seems like I got sick of dealing with other people's incompetence, failures, mistakes, gross negligence, etc. Having children in a way made me realize what's important and what I hate wasting my time on. I figured I have better things to do than deal with stupid people who can't do their job. (The sleep deprivation of being a new mother probably didn't help these bitter feelings much either). These phone calls became a nuisance even more so than they already were. Not to mention the fact that everytime I get on the phone one or both children start crying, screaming, fighting, or just laughing loudly. None of which are conducive to a semi-professional conversation. But more than anything I was just sick of having to handle every conversation on every issue.

So, I have gradually over the past few months started handing off some of these phone call duties to my husband. At first he'd put them off and put them off until I would just end up making the phone calls. And don't get me wrong. I still make more than my fair share of calls. However, my husband is like the task master on the phone now. He's checking people left and right, calling them and giving them deadlines. The man is getting things done and it's awesome.

Now if I could only get him to put his dirty clothes in the laundry room.....baby steps.

No comments: