Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Truth About Feminism

The world is filled with all types of women with all types of different interests. There are those who live and breathe a career, there are those who dream of staying home and raising a family, there are those who do both, and those who do something in between. The point is I, probably much like you, had a choice and I had a choice because of what women did before me. I had a choice because other women fought to be able to give future generations of women that choice. For that I can truly only be thankful.

Many people connote the term "feminist" with something negative. As if someone who is a feminist couldn't possibly still raise a family. As if a feminist can't still believe in a traditional family dynamic. As if a feminist is something to be shunned and frowned upon. When I hear the term "feminist" I think of many things and sure some of the things that sometimes come to mind are the stereotypes. However, the first thing I think about is brave, strong, incredible women making huge sacrifices so that their daughters and granddaughters would get to choose whether or not they wanted to work. They fought so that if a woman wanted to stay home, she could choose to do so and not be told to do so. Really, words can't adequately express how thankful I am that this is the case.

When I look at my daughter I see a future full of possibility. I see her having the choice of whether she wants to get married, have children, work full-time or part-time, or even from home. I see her having the choice and making the sacrifice to be a stay-at-home mom as I chose to do (the key word being "chose"). The possibilities are endless and regardless of what she chooses I will be proud because it is a choice she made, not one someone made for her. So, I guess if that makes me a feminist I'll proudly accept the compliment. I hope my daughter is one too.

6 comments:

Joanne said...

I agree, that because of the paths of feminists before us, we are able to choose, which in itself is a form of freedom. Because where would we be without choice? Without the ability to select our own life path?

Mark said...

Well put! As long as our choices reflect doing the best for those directly involved with us, may every woman (and man) have the freedom to choose their destiny. Encouraging stuff!

Moxymama said...

Joanne, Well said. There is great freedom in being able to choose.

Mark, you make a great point. "As long as our choices reflect doing the best...." I couldn't agree more.

Robyn said...

I agree with everything you wrote, except I would also note (as a full-time working mom), that it is ALSO a sacrifice to work full time. It's sacrificing time at home with my son.

That being said, on any given day I can be happy with my choice or wishing for something different. Depends on the day. I think it's important for ALL moms (SAHM, working, singe, married, etc.) to support one another. We all have a tough job and we're all doing the best we can.

What a thought provoking post!

Moxymama said...

Absolutely, Robyn. I certainly didn't mean to imply that your choice to work is not a sacrifice. Also, I think you hit the nail on the head in saying that on any given day we can choose to continue or wish for something (and possibly choose to do something) different. And I couldn't agree more with the sentiment that all moms should support one another. It seems like a lot of times those most critical of mothers are other mothers.

jodifur said...

I think feminism is about choices and supporting everyone's choices.