Thursday, October 16, 2008

Second Chances

When I was a college student I had a couple poems and articles published. Nothing major and my "pay" was basically a certificate of congratulations. I was supposed to be satisfied with merely the "prestige" of being published. To be honest, at that point in my life, I was. I was an English teaching and writing major so it was something that came fairly naturally to me and something I enjoyed. It never felt like work (well, at least not most of the time).

I’ve posted before about my recent reflections on whether or not I should have accepted a technical writing job out of college instead of the teaching job I accepted. At that point I had plans to teach for two or three years and then go to law school. A plan that was put on hold after my daughter was born. I thought that it might not be too late to pursue what I had once let go. There were certainly more writing opportunities out there for me to explore.

So, I’ve spent the past four months writing new pieces and editing older pieces. I’ve made it a point to set aside time everyday for myself, usually really late at night since it’s the only time my house is quiet, to focus and write. I figure I’m still young (30) and the likelihood of another career is not out of the realm of possibility.

While I still want to be home with the kids while they are young I figured I’d be able to do most of the job, if not all of it from home, and during hours when the kids were asleep or days my husband was home. So, I applied for three positions and am contemplating applying for one more (what I would consider my "ideal" at this point in both content and pay). All were mostly contributing writer positions for publications. The type of writing varied from short stories to articles to reviews on various topics. I ended up being offered two of the jobs, one of them being the one I really wanted, and my first article, for which I’ll actually be paid for in cold, hard cash (or check), was published this week.

While I know that everyone who writes dreams of writing the next great novel (myself included) I also acknowledge that I have to start somewhere. I am excited about this opportunity because I am able to write about issues I feel passionately about and enjoy and I’m hoping this might lead to other opportunities. I’m looking at this as a good way to gain experience and get my foot in the door.

So, I guess in some ways I have rejoined the ranks of the working world. Wish me luck.

11 comments:

Nancy said...

Congratulations!! I know you will be terrific because you have a way with words.

Moxymama said...

Thanks, Nancy. That means a lot!

Robyn said...

Wow - -you are so brave! Good luck (but I have a feeling you won't need it).

Moxymama said...

Thanks Robyn, I appreciate the vote of confidence.

Cass. Just Curious said...

That is so fantastic! Good for you and I'm sending you a whole bucket full of luck! BTW still nothing from Bonnie Hunt/Eric- not a big deal just didn't want you to think that I wasn't posting about it.

Moxymama said...

Thanks Cass. I appreciate it. BTW I will contact Eric today. I'm so sorry that he has dropped the ball on this.

Trippy Hippy said...

Congratulations!!!!! That is wonderfully fantastic. You truly have a gift. I love reading what you write.

Joanne said...

Congrats on this terrific news! I know you mentioned it on my blog and I was wondering about the details. I agree with so much you say here, about gaining experience and opportunities. Most importantly, you're deciding to live your choice life. And it seems that once you start, it has a way of growing and defining. Best wishes to you, and keep us posted on your writing experiences ...

Emerald said...

Wonderful news. I enjoy your blog and your writing style. Please keep us updated.

Moxymama said...

Trippy hippy, Joanne, and Emerald,
Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate them. And thanks for reading/.

Gena B. said...

Sorry I have been away for a while so my congrats are belated, but that is terrific news. Please keep us updated. How exciting. I love your blog. Very clever and intelligently written.