Saturday, June 28, 2008

Recharge Needed

I admit it! I'm grumpy and irritable. It comes with the territory of taking care of sick kids and feeling beyond exhausted from being up all night cleaning up vomit and diarrhea. There's also the little issue of healthy daughter who has been just a royal pain in the arse. Combine these two issues and you have a mom who is literally a few short steps away from the looney bin. At this point it would be a welcome reprieve. I can sleep there right?
I just want a break from my two little "angels". I don't think that is too much to ask for, is it? I am with my children 24 hours/7 days a week. I never hire a babysitter; they stay with grandma and grandpa maybe 3 times a year, usually for me to go to a doctor's appointment and once for my hubby and I to celebrate our anniversary. My husband works all the time; I'm virtually a single mother and lately I just want to disappear.....ALONE!
I know being a stay-at-home mom means sacrificing my own needs, wants, and desires for the needs, wants, and desires of my family...my kids especially. However, I don't think I should have to entirely surrender all of them and I fear that is what I have done. I know some stay at home moms who kind of defeat the purpose of being one. They have more help than any mother, stay at home or not, really needs. It's like they had their children simply for a status symbol yet they don't want to actually have to raise them or spend any time with them. They go to the sitter one day, grandparents the next, a play group the next, grandparents again and before you know it the week has gone by and they've had their children for one or two of those days and then complain how hard it is to raise kids. I have little sympathy or tolerance for those folks.
I gladly stay home with my children. I willingly sacrifice little parts of me, for the time being, for the greater good of our family. However, it would be nice to get a break once in a while to recharge. Having time away, occassionally, makes you appreciate them that much more, which in turn makes me a better, happier, more attentive mommy.

No comments: