Thursday, August 6, 2009

Tender Feelings

I am four years older than my brother A and ten years older than my brother T. Because of this, there is quite a bit of my brothers' childhood that I remember vividly. One of the things that sticks out most to me is how tenderhearted both were. They were so sensitive and got their feelings hurt if someone simply looked at them wrong. There were numerous occasions where they would end up running from the room in tears because their feelings were crushed.

My son is the same way. He is so sensitive and tenderhearted and always so cognizant of others and their feelings. He dissolves into tears if his sister ignores him, his father speaks sternly to him, or if I give him a look that he feels is anything less than loving. It can be heartbreaking. Usually, when this happens he will let me hold him and comfort him until he calms down.

Lately, however, he screams for my husband. He's utterly beside himself crying, "Call my daddy now."He won't stop until I call my husband at work, at which point my son gets on the phone and tells him his sob story....it usually involves his sister not sharing, his sister taking a toy, waking up on the wrong side of the bed, and his mommy not letting him go to the store naked. Things like that. In the past few weeks my husband probably takes five or six calls a day with my screaming son on the other end. I feel horrible interrupting him, however my son will simply not stop the hysterics until he can talk to his daddy.

So, for now I suppose my husband will just have to continue fielding calls to comfort our tenderhearted boy.

No comments: