Monday, April 14, 2008

So Old

I think I've mentioned that I've been working out a lot recently...trying to return my body to its glory days. Anyway, the girl I signed in with the other day asked if my last name used to be (my maiden name). When I told her it was she said, "I thought so." I embarassingly had to ask her if I knew her. Turns out I used to be her camp counselor almost 10 years ago for two summers when I was in college. I would never have recognized her. I asked what she was doing now, except for obviously working at my gym, and she tells me that she is about to graduate. I assume high school, not taking the time to do the quick math in my head. There is no way that many years have passed. However, it is COLLEGE she is about to graduate from. Impossible! Am I really that old? How did that happen?

Despite the marriage, the two kids, the mortgage, etc. I still look at myself as young. I guess I don't really qualify as that anymore. On the plus side, an 80 year old woman (at the same gym) who I was talking to while working out on the elliptical thought I was 18 or 19. So that tempered things a bit. But seriously...being a former teacher I run into students quite often who I taught my first or second year out of college. Some of those kids now are married with kids of their own. It just doesn't seem like that much time has passed.

No comments: