Friday, April 25, 2008

Results of the Poll

The votes have been counted and the numbers are in. Exactly 100 percent of you felt that having four or more kids is just way to much.

I am the oldest sibling of four and while now being part of that doesn't really bother me or especially please me, when I was younger I was very conscious of how big of a brood we were. I remember walking in places and people getting whiplash watching us as we continued to walk by. We were all very well behaved. My parents didn't have to really worry about us acting up in public. We were very respectful and presentable and most importantly QUIET.

When I see people out now with four kids it's like an event. They can never go anywhere quietly. It's like a herd of buffalo stampeding through. I just think parents today have so much on their plate that four kids is really pushing it. HOw much time can you really give each kid? I guess I'd rather be able to give the kids I do have more of me and not feel like I'm spread so thin. It seems like there are so many parents out there who merely have children just for bragging rights or use it as a badge of honor, like, "I'm so great because I have 7 kids." When did having more kids become synonymous with sainthood or make you a candidate for parent of the year? It seems like the parents that have more than four kids are always looking to pawn them off on someone else. (grandparents, aunts, uncles, family friends, the mailman, the bagger at the grocery store, etc.) They don't really seem to enjoy them.

I know this post is full of gross generalizations and there are plenty of large families out there who love spending every minute together and don't try to dump their parenting responsibilities on others. I just haven't met them yet. I love my two children to death and I wouldn't trade them for the world and half of me would love to have another baby at some point (In the very distant future). But the other half of me enjoys the semi-freedom that two kids allows and from a financial and practical standpoint, two kids are cheaper and easier to "maintain" than four. Instead of being strapped or just comfortable with four kids, we could be very comfortable or wealthy with two, or even three, kids. But that's just me.

No comments: