Friday, April 25, 2008

Basketball Blues

So back in the day I was a pretty good basketball player. I went to college on a basketball scholarship and had pretty much played the sport all my life. That all stopped about 8 years ago, when I quit playing after graduating and pretty much never looked back. An old high school teammate who I've been in touch with recently asked me to play on her team in a women's league. I reluctantly agreed. Now, I've been working out every day for 2 weeks and am getting in decent shape. We had our first game tonight and I swear I was going to die. The type of cardio "In shape" I"m in by working out at the local gym is a completely different type of shape I need to be in to be able to effectively run up and down a basketball court without looking like I"m trying to inhale the last bit of oxygen on earth. It was a lot of fun and I'm glad I got talked into playing, but I am RUSTY!. My fall from grace has been far. I felt awkward, uncoordinated, and hesitant playing a sport I used to own; used to dominate! Fortunately, our team as a whole is pretty good and we won by about 30. Hopefully next week i'll do better. I console myself with the fact that I"m about ten years older than the majority of my teammates. Just gotta keep telling myself that.

No comments: