Friday, July 6, 2012

Round Here

Yesterday I checked the mail and in it was the name of my daughter's teacher for 2nd grade. My heart lurched a bit because it is not the teacher she wanted.  I know very little about this teacher and so couldn't provide her the assurances she needed that all would be well, other than the generic, "It will be okay.  I'm sure she's fine.  I will ask around."  My daughter stresses about these things, much like her mother.  So, I've spent the past 24 hours asking around.  The general consensus seems to be that she's "okay" and "fine."  I don't know that those are really the ringing endorsements I was hoping for, but I guess for now I will take it.  Part of me wants to fight to get her into the class that she really wants, but I also think she should try this teacher.  It may turn out to be okay, she may really like her.  I just don't know. What I do know is that for the next 4.5 weeks I will stress about it!  Which, by the way, how is the summer going to be OVER in 4.5 weeks????  I feel like it has barely started!

This year will see lots of changes.  Our son is entering preschool three days a week.  He is very excited about it and I am excited for him.  I think it will be good for him socially especially in preparation for Kindergarten next year.  But it still makes me sad thinking of sending him off to school. Why can't I just keep my kids little forever???

Much is changing for me as well.  Previous to having kids I was a high school English teacher and Varsity Basketball coach.  The coaching is essentially a year-round, full-time job in and of itself.  I loved it! When I started having kids I reluctantly gave it up because I really wanted to have time with my kids and knew that I couldn't be the mother I wanted to be and the coach I wanted to be at the same time.  Last year, a friend of mine asked for some help with her team on a volunteer basis. The athletic director was wonderful in allowing me to bring me kids, which made it possible.  I was hooked again.  I didn't realize how much I had missed coaching and being around the game of basketball.  Long story short, my friend stepped down, I applied, interviewed, and was offered the job.  That has been occupying much of my time this summer:  open gyms, conditioning, and we played in a summer league.

I am beyond excited for this year, even though I know the time demands are going to be insane.  The kids love coming with me and running around the gym.  The girls are fantastic with my kids, which I am incredibly grateful for.  And somehow, even with an almost two year old I am making it work.

So, needless to say this year will be full of changes. Hopefully all good ones and for the better.  Life has been hectic around these parts lately but I am excited about what the future holds and looking forward to getting back into the "working world" even just with this baby step at this time.

How have your summers been?  Any new developments?.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm excited for you about the coaching job! I would love to know the team so I could follow them online (only if you want to send it privately or something!)

I think now that you know who your daughter's teacher is you should just drop it for the rest of the summer -- put it so far out of your mind it's like you never knew. Why? Because the more you think about it or talk about it, your daughter is going to pick up on it and she's going to do the same thing. If she does bring it up just say things along the line of "I know you get along with everyone do well that you will enjoy this class, new adventure, blah blah blah". I don't mean to come off too strong - sorry if I do!!

I can't believe your son is ready for school! I hope he's been feeling well over these months!

Robyn said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog - I miss it too, but started to get nervous about my job reading it.

We're going to be seeing changes too. Bear is going into 1st grade (don't know the teacher yet) and we're expecting twins this December. Which brings the children count up to FOUR! I wish I could have at least a year to be home with Monkey and the babies, but it doesn't look like that's financially possible. But, I'm determined, so we'll see...

BTW, I agree - summer is going by WAY to quickly!